TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Sending long international SMS
- Estimating the number of segments for Each Text Message
- Having hidden characters in your SMS text
- Using Emojis
- Using a picture attachment
- Carrier fees
Sending long international SMS
An SMS comprises segments and each segment is 160 characters long. So if you are sending a lengthy SMS, it will consume multiple segments and thereby drive up your cost.
Please note that while 160 characters form a segment, even using 161 characters counts as 2 segments.
Character lengths of segments also vary by countries & regions which might be another reason for your high SMS cost.
Estimating the number of segments for Each Text Message
1. Paste the copied text in the Messaging Segment Calculator
2. Switch the country according to where you are messaging in:
Check out Twilio's Pricing page for each Country's SMS cost: SMS Pricing
3. Text messages are charged per segment based on this table
Having hidden characters in your SMS text
Many agencies copy/paste the SMS text body while designing automation. When you copy/paste text from a text editor software like MS Word or Google Docs, sometimes hidden characters get appended in the string. These hidden characters can not be seen by the user but they are present in the text.
In this example a simple phrase Hey there was copied from a webpage. Usually, it should be just 1 segment. But actually, it contains many hidden characters (empty characters) making this as large as 4 segments.
You can use https://twiliodeved.github.io/message-segment-calculator/ to check the actual number of segments & character length of your SMS text.
While pasting contents of an SMS to System text editor it is recommended to use paste as plain text option instead of simple paste
This is the most common reason for unexpected high costs while sending SMS automation.
In the example below some emojis were used that increased the number of segments from 1 to 4.
Using emojis is a great way to make your automation exciting but being aware of the costs involved will help you make an informed decision about their frequency of usage.
Using a picture attachment
Both SMS and MMS carrier fees will apply which could drive up the cost of each SMS. When you send a picture message with text, you get charged $0.02 for the picture + the usual SMS cost depending upon the length of the text.
If the following text portion of the Picture SMS is 2 segments -
- "Hey Shivam, this is Kate from BusinessName, just wanted to let you know that this upcoming Monday, we have a new update for your agency, REGISTER HERE: bit.ly/BIZ-xxxxxxxx or text MOREINFO for more info!"
We will charge $0.0075 x 2 = $0.015 for the text portion if you are sending from US to US
- Switch the country according to where you are messaging in:
- Check out Twilio's Pricing page for each Country's SMS cost: SMS Pricing
If there's an image attached to this message, it will charge at $0.02 / message
So the total cost per message is $0.02 + $0.015 = $0.035
Further, there will be some additional charges incurred:
For non-LC sub-account, please set up your Business Profile & A2P campaign inside the Twilio console.
For LC phone sub-account, please set up A2P registration in the LC Phone System Trust Center.